Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec Bolero 890c....advice, anyone?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Raymond Bitterlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2005
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello all--

    I had an Altec "Voice of the Theatre" (model 820c?) many years ago, and I have fond memories of it. I am now looking to replace my AR speakers with a nice pair of vintage Altecs. I've found a pair of the Bolero 890c for sale, and though they look great in the photos, I've never heard them. Can anyone opine if the $750 asking price will be worth the upgrade over my old 3-way AR speakers? Thanks...

  2. #2
    Inactive Member David Cox's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi there.

    I'm on the hunt for a pair of Boleros too. I've read good reviews and all say the Boleros have that Altec mid-range that we all enjoy. I've seen--and failed to win--some on eBay and all auctions finished no where near $700. In fact, one pair went for only $122 ( I was out of town otherwise I would have jumped on that pair). So I'm still looking. Maybe we'll go head to head on the next auction. forums

  3. #3
    Inactive Member raymond.shpeley's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2004
    Posts
    13
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is this what you're looking for?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    $750 is extremely steep. They are a nice little speaker but not worth that kind of money. The AR3 is a completely different animal. In that price range I would recommend spending a little more and getting a set of 846b Valencia's. That will get you close to the sound you miss.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Raymond Bitterlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2005
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi--

    Raymond, I'm actually looking for the complete cabinet/drivers, but thanks for posting that. If anyone has a set of 890b Boleros, I'm still interested...

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Raymond Bitterlick's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2005
    Posts
    7
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Steve--

    I missed your reply when I posted a minute or two ago. The Valencia is a great speaker, but I live in a small apartment & that's why I'm looking for a bookshelf. Thanks for the suggestion..

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Jack6428-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2004
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Bitterlick,

    I do have a pair of Boleros I could sell. I'm currently using them for part of my home theater system but am planning some major changes.

    My Boleros are the style with the woodlike/eggcrate grills. They are probably an 8 1/2 out of 10 condition, with only a few minor scratches and one nick on one of the 16 corners.

    I see you are from California. Me too. I could send you photos or you could come and see them.

    Regards,
    Jack

  8. #8
    Inactive Member HopDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 11th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hello All-

    This is my first post, and I come to board in search of some info on the 890C Boleros.

    I recently inherited a pair from my parents (they didn't pass away, just decided to clean out the basement), and they look to be in great condition except for one 'minor' flaw.

    On the back of the one cabinet, the posts to attach the speaker wire are missing completely.

    There doesn't look to be any easy way of replacing the crossover, even if i can find one. What I am really looking to find out is, in the opinion of the board, would it be worth trying to find a new crossover and repair these beauties? And does anyone have any tips on how to go about that?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member David Cox's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HopDevil--

    I'm have Boleros in my listening room. Without a doubt they are worth keeping and fixing. You could keep an eye out on eBay for crossovers. I'm also thinking you could bi-amp and use an active crossover.

    David

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Jack6428-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2004
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello HopDevil,

    Do you just need the connection posts that are normally on the back of the speakers or do you need the crossover located internally?

    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.